King’s College Chapel, was one of the last great Gothic buildings in England to be built before the arrival of the Renaissance style. Completed in 1519, it took over 60 years to build and is recognized as one of the masterpieces of the Perpendicular style. The conservation and cleaning of the south side took place in 2009 – 2010 and included the restoration of some of the badly decayed heraldic ornament concentrated in the 4 westermost bays of the nave.
Two of the crowns set into the buttresses above the Tudor Roses and Portcullises were completely decayed. They were replaced in Clipsham limestone, the elaborate and detailed design being carefully reproduced from the perfectly preserved examples inside the Chapel.
The buttress copings are populated by seated heraldic beasts from the Tudor arms; dragons, lions, yales and greyhounds and one of the latter required replacement. A half scale model in clay was first produced for approval by the Surveyor and the Fellows, following which the full size sculpture was carved, about 5 foot in height.